Smile Kid

Smile Kid
Be who you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind...



Thursday, January 20, 2011

What's in the box?

With the title that I have you may find yourself vaguely recollecting a song from a children's TV show that you used to watch...
it depends on how old you are I guess and whether or not its just me.
But if it is just me, it doesn't matter because that's not what this post is about anyway.
This post is about my findings...in a box.
So indeed, you will read about my discovery of what's in the box. ;)

I found a box full of my parents old things that they had forgotten about.

In the box was:
  • All of my mum's high school report cards! Now I have seen her results and all I will say is, giving her my report card will no longer be so painful.
  • Diaries, lots of diaries from when mum was a teenager and several diaries of dad's. (I didn't read any of them because as much as I'd love read about all the stupid stuff that they done when they were young, they deserve to have there privacy and dignity maintained).
  • A koala stamp...it still works, prints a cute little green koala on the paper.
  • Lots of cards from their birthdays, Christmas, engagement, wedding and the birth of their first child (ME!).
  • Their school photos.
  • Lots of my mum's assignments from a childcare TAFE course that she done when she was 19.
  • The little plastic band that was clipped onto my ankle shortly after my dramatic loud entrance into the world.
  • Tickets from the river cruise that they went on on their honeymoon.
  • and a few other things.
When Mum wrote in her diary as a 14 year old girl, she never imagined that her 16 year old daughter would find it 26 years later.

I should write a note in my diary next time I'm writing saying 'My future daughter; don't snoop in your mother's diary! And don't get any ideas from what you've read'.

My daughter would do well to not do anything that I've done. :P
 Except she's allowed facebook. As much it corrupts children, hinders their capacity to achieve, wastes time, develops poor communication skills and many other evil things that my mum will passionately inform you of, it has connected me with the people I love, and for that I am extremely grateful. So I will overlook all its evil traits, and allow my daughter to use it under the condition that she has me as a facebook friend.

Technology has created a society that leaves much to desire, but like my mum sometimes says; 'Unless you are willing to take over, keep your mouth shut'.

2 comments: